Geohazards research group
University of Utah - Department of Geology & Geophysics
In the news
Utah geologists translate vibrations of rock landforms into audible tones"
- Utah Public Radio, Jun 6, 2022.
Rock Music in Utah
- EOS, May 3, 2022.
How climbers help scientists vibe with Utah’s famous red rock formations
- Science News, Mar 21, 2022.
The Alps’ Matterhorn shows how much even big mountains sway
- Science News for Students, Mar 18, 2022.
Utah’s red rock towers shake and shimmy to a predictable beat
- Ars Technica, Mar 7, 2022.
Mountains sway to the seismic song of the Earth
- EOS, Feb 1, 2022.
Matterhorn sways to a seismic beat
- Physics World, Jan 7, 2022.
Discover the sound that could preserve Utah’s arches
- National Geographic, Oct 11, 2021.
- REI, Hello Nature Podcast, Sept 24, 2021.
Science Moab talks to geologists about the “sound prints” of rock formations
- Moab Sun News, Apr 29, 2021.
Podcast: Songs of the Arches (with Helicopters)
- EOS, Nov 23, 2020.
4 Awesome Discoveries You Probably Didn't Hear About - Ep. 41
- National Science Foundation, July 24, 2020.
The Delicacy of Arches
- EOS, July 13, 2020.
Utah's arches continue to whisper their secrets
- PhysOrg, Jun 11,2020
Helicopter infrasound shakes historic rock formations
- Physics World, Jan 16,2020
The Geologic Toll of Helicopter Flights
- Physics Magazine, Dec 23, 2019
Not-so-good vibrations? Chopper tours may be damaging Utah’s arches
- Deseret News, Dec 28, 2019
Helicopters might be weakening Utah’s arches
- KSL News Utah, Dec 26, 2019
- National Parks Magazine, Dec 20, 2019.
Taking the pulse of a sandstone tower in Utah
- New York Times, Sept 9, 2019.
The rock that vibrates in time with earth, wind, and waves
- WIRED, Sept 2, 2019.
Scientists Measure Vibrations Of Red Rock Tower In Utah
- KJZZ NPR Phoenix, Sept 2, 2019.
This rock has a voice and you can listen to it
- Outside Magazine, Aug 29, 2019.
Here’s how an iconic landform near Moab sways like a skyscraper from natural earth movements
- KSL news Utah, Aug 29, 2019.
Climbers in Utah scaled a 400-foot rock to measure how it moves
- Atlas Obscura, Aug 27, 2019.
Popular Utah rock-climbing spot vibrates in time with earth, wind, and waves
- Ars Technica, Aug 27, 2019.
Voices of the arches: Displacing Vibrations at Nox Contemporary
- SLUG Magazine, Feb 28, 2019
Ancient Rock Arches Sing Songs
- HowStuffWorks, Jan 19, 2019
Listen to the Cosmic Sound of Sandstone Arches in Bears Ears
- EarthJustice Blog, Dec 4, 2018
Studying the Fate of Arches
- National Park Service, Nov 26, 2018
115 arches were left out of the reduced Bears Ears and Grand Staircase national monuments.
A University of Utah team is creating a digital archive to ‘preserve’ them
- Salt Lake Tribune, Oct 11, 2018
The View From Above
- National Park Service, Sep 21, 2018
Rock arches are singing and scientists are listening
- NSF Science Nation, July 16, 2018
- Axios Science, May 17, 2018
Monitoring the tremble -- and potential fall -- of natural rock arches
- Science Daily, May 15, 2018
Transmission: The hidden voice of the ancients
- Wasatch Magazine, Mar 13, 2018
Landslide watch: Can experts predict collapse at Washington’s Rattlesnake Ridge?
- Seattle Times, Jan 21, 2018
Song of the red rock arches
- National Science Foundation, Dec 5, 2017
Are arches like these going to collapse? Meet the scientist who’s trying to find out
- Science, Jul 28, 2017
The 2013 Bingham Canyon landslide, moment by moment
- PhysOrg, Mar 2, 2017
Natural Bridges Pick Up Vibrations From Distant Human Activity
- The Atlantic, Nov 28, 2016
Vibes at Rainbow Bridge
- KNAU Arizona public radio Earth Notes, Nov 16, 2016
Resonance at Rainbow Bridge brings icon alive
- KUER NPR Utah, Oct 10, 2016
Ancient landslide gave us Zion Canyon
- Earth Magazine, Oct 3, 2016
Rainbow Bridge trembles from people (in Russian)
- Gazeta.ru, Sept. 27, 2016
Humans can make this giant arch vibrate
- Popular Science, Sept 22, 2016
Have You Ever Heard Rainbow Bridge Hum?
- National Parks Traveler, Sept 22, 2016
Good vibrations: University of Utah geologists record how Rainbow Bridge resonates
- Salt Lake Tribune, Sept 21, 2016
Lake Ripples Cause Utah's Rainbow Bridge to Twist and Bend
- Livescience, Sept 21, 2016
Scientists listen to the singing of Utah's Rainbow Bridge
- UPI, Sept 21, 2016
Human activities rattle natural rock of Utah’s Rainbow Bridge
- Geospace, Sept 21, 2016
Geologists re-visit giant Zion landslide
- BBC News, May 27, 2016 - with
Zion Canyon was sculpted by a colossal rockslide, say researchers
- Christian Science Monitor, May 27, 2016
Cataclysmic landslide created ‘flat and tranquil’ valley enjoyed today in Zion National Park
- Salt Lake Tribune, May 27, 2016
Rock avalanche shaped Zion National Park 4,800 years ago, U. study says
- KSL news Utah, May 26, 2016
Sentinel, the landslide that filled Zion Canyon
- National Parks Traveler, May 26, 2016
Mesa Arch's 'hum' measured to track health of rock structure
- Earth magazine, May 12, 2016
Killer landslides: The lasting legacy of Nepal’s quake
- Nature, Apr 25, 2016
Testing the strength of fragile geologic structures
- Discover Magazine, April 2016
Testing rock arch stability
- How on Earth, KGNU radio Boulder, Sept 29, 2015
Eavesdropping on arches: Rock's internal 'hum' reveals its health
- Livescience, Sept 18, 2015
In photos: Listening in on Mesa Arch's internal 'hum'
- Livescience, Sept 18, 2015
Studying the shifting stability of Utah’s iconic arches
- Fox13 news Utah, Aug 16, 2015
Natural arches hum their health and scientists are listening
- Geospace, Aug 7, 2015
Utah's iconic arches: Are they talking to us?
- KSL news Utah, May 13, 2015
Wenn Sandsteine singen (If sandstones sing)
- Deutschlandfunk, Jan 16, 2015
America’s 'ringing' rock arches recorded
- BBC news, Dec 17, 2014
Corona Arch swing up for restriction
- Westminster College Forum, Sep 17, 2014
The buck for safe hillside development stops with Utah cities
- Salt Lake Tribune, Aug 10, 2014
Slope in North Salt Lake was prone to landslides, experts say
- Salt Lake Tribune, Aug 6, 2014
Trib Talk: Landslides and development
- Salt Lake Tribune, Aug 6, 2014
Could warning system have saved lives in devastating Washington landslide?
- FOX news, Apr 22, 2014
Monitoring can warn of impending slides - at a cost
- Seattle Times, Apr 3, 2014
Tectonic stress feedback loop explains U-shaped glacial valleys
- EOS, Mar 11, 2014
Landslide triggered earthquakes
- Nature, Vol. 505, 264, Jan 16, 2014
Measuring last year’s landslide at the Kennecott mine
- KCPW Public Radio, Salt Lake City, Jan 9, 2014
Massive Utah landslide Triggered earthquakes
- LiveScience, Jan 9, 2014
Utah avalanche was largest in modern history
– AP national coverage, Jan 8, 2014
Scientists study Kennecott landslide
- KUTV news Utah, Jan 7, 2014
Massive 2013 mine collapse caused small earthquakes
- Bloomberg news, Jan 7, 2014
North America's largest modern landslides?
- Science news, ScienceShot, Jan 6, 2014
Landslide at Bingham Canyon Mine triggered earthquakes, geologists say
- KSL news Utah, Jan 6, 2014
Landslide triggered 16 earthquakes, study shows
- FOX13 news Utah, Jan 6, 2014
Kennecott slides caused earthquakes
- KUER Public Radio, Salt Lake City, Jan 6, 2014
Kennecott landslide so big it triggered earthquakes
- Salt Lake Tribune, Jan 6, 2014
Sizing up the landslide
- NASA Earth Observatory, June 13, 2013
Kennecott landslide may be largest in North America
- Fox13 news Utah, May 16, 2013
Bingham Canyon rock avalanche largest non-volcanic landslide in North American history
- Salt Lake Tribune, May 16, 2013
Operational seismic network estimates rock slide properties
- EOS, Feb 2012
Rock fractures could amplify shaking during earthquakes
- MSNBC, Dec 2011
Seismic diagrams identify rock-falls
- PhysOrg, Dec 2011
Rumbles in the Alps reveal rockslides
- Nature, Nov 2011